Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Cream Ale

            I would have to say that my favorite American style beer is probably the cream ale.  I have drank only a few of them so its kinda hard to get a good understanding of what one is supposed to taste like.  Being a big Northern Brewer fan I decided to brew their all-grain cream ale kit. 

Doing some wort circulation. Its got a nice color and great smell.

Hops just added with a good boil. NO BOIL OVER!

I was able to keep the mash around 150 degrees F. Hopefully I will get a dry tasting beer.
I got an original gravity of 1.040 (temp adjusted) and the color looks awesome. Fermentation kicked off very quickly and I was awakened in the middle of the night by a loud POP! sound.  Sure enough it was my airlock blowing off and fermentation foam was everywhere.  I quickly fashioned a ghetto blow off set up and fermentation has since calmed down.  In keeping with energy savings it is about 61 degrees in my house.  Here are some pics from brew day.

3 comments:

  1. How did you prevent a boilover? Did you try the scoop method?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep used the scoop method.....we should patent this.... not sure if there is any science behind it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha, we should call it the Crockett-Helton Maneuver.

    ReplyDelete